Saturday, February 5, 2011

Prelude and Beginning

Johnie and I joke that ours is a match made in heaven.  Not in a lovey-dovey, soul mate, destiny sort of way, but in a we-did-so-many-things-to-mess-this-all-up-there-had-to-be-some-divine-intervention sort of way.  Ours isn't a story of romance, but it still warms my heart.  While it has been pretty low key so far, and we could already write the ending, we have yet to discover the meat of our story.  Usually we're okay with reading the pages as they slowly turn, but sometimes we do get anxious for the next chapter.  Here's to enjoying our story while it's still being written!

It was an unremarkable Saturday morning in January.  My only memory of the day is sitting on a couch in the living room of my apartment scrutinizing a homework assignment. 

I had just completed my first week as an intern with the Legislative Research Commission, and apathy toward assignments had not yet set in.  I had taken the application information serious when it said no knowledge of political science was needed.  At this point I was a bit overwhelmed by the crash course in poly-sci set before me. 

My work was interrupted by a phone call.  Not uncommon, a family friend was on the other end.  After a few minutes of chatting, he asked if I'd be willing to e-mail a "boy" he went to church with.  I said no.  I heard what wasn't being said on the other end of the phone, and was not interested in being part of a match-making. 

I was a few months out from a serious break-up with wounds still healing.  I was in no hurry to jump in to a new relationship.  And I definitely was not up for my definition of chasing a boy; that is, to be the one to initiate whatever may or may not turn into any form of relationship.  Undeterred, my friend asked if he could assure his friend he would receive a response if he were to e-mail me.  I said no, unwilling to offer any sympathy for his shyness nor to make promises I didn't intend to keep. 

By the end of the conversation, I conceded that I would read, and not just delete, any e-mail I received from this person.  I recited an e-mail address, the call ended, and my day resumed. 

I suppose I have one other memory from that day: the moment I realized the e-mail address I gave was a combination of my new work address and my personal address.  The thought crossed my mind to leave it be with the possibility that the incorrect e-mail wouldn't even be used by this extremely shy stranger.  Embarrassed, I called and provided a working e-mail address.

Johnie will tell you that he can remember exactly where he was and what he was doing when our mutual friend called to share an e-mail address.  He was working that day.  As our friend had just shared with me, he recently landed a job with the local cable company as a field technician.  In his van, pulled off the road, he scribbled my e-mail address down and continued his work.  Later that day, he received a second call with a second e-mail address. 

What wonderful first impressions we made.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very glad that you gave Gary that email address. I wasn't too shy to email, just too shy to call, as you would later find out.

    I love you wife,
    Johnie

    ReplyDelete